Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Work Life: Some notes

If you are running Orchard and forget the SQL database password, the following should do the trick (I suggested it to a district in Arkansas and it solved the problem):

  1. Open Sql Server Management Studio as Administrator
  2. Login to .\SQLEXPRESS using Windows Authentication
  3. Go to Security Tab -- > Logins --> Change the "sa" password and Press Ok
I helped a local district onsite with a connectivity issue. We thought one wing of a building was down, but it turned out to be just one room. In a nutshell, here are the troubleshooting paths we took:
  1. Unplug/replug power from switches and wifi access point. Did not resolve issue.
  2. Testing wired workstation. It could not connect.
  3. Checked wiring. Loose connection at wall. Reseated.
  4. Wired workstation tested and working. Wifi stations still down.
  5. Unplugged power from access point, replugged. No fix.
  6. Unplugged/reseated network cable from switch end to access point. No fix.
  7. Unplugged/reseated network cable from access point end. Fixed.
Not sure why we have to reseat the connection on the access point end, but that fixed it.

I strongly advise all school personnel to work with their tech department before buying any computers. If you purchase a computer on your own, chances are it will *NOT* work with your school network. Many districts require authentication credentials when connecting to the network. Computers you buy at Best Buy or Walmart or anywhere off-the-shelf are *NOT* going to have the Professional version of Windows. There is an extra cost (either in terms of money or man hours or both) to get that new computer to work on the school network. Save everyone a lot of headaches, and TALK to your TECH person before making a purchase. Thank you.

The school tech and I labeled fiber in preparation for the demarc/fiber center move that I discussed in a n earlier post. I plan to be there for the move to offer tech support, muscle support, and/or moral support. And prayers. Want to see prayer on a school campus, come watch a bunch of folks moving the network core (while it is still live) from one location to another. Oh yes. There will be prayer.

While at that district, I took a call from the office regarding a new electrical line we were having installed. It was supposed to have been done last week, but the vendor never showed or called. We won't be using that vendor again. Anyway, that vendor did show up to run the line but "no longer possessed" the information regarding the type of outlet connector needed. Seriously!? Totally unprofessional in my opinion. Again, we will not be using them in the future. The line finally got installed, but the connector installed does not look exactly like the one pictured in the specs for the new device. We'll see when the device vendor shows up to install things. I have a short fuse for incompetence and non-communication. taken as an "OR" situation, I can handle either one. But when they become "AND," we have a problem.

I worked with a different user on setting up her new MacBook Pro (MBP). The Migration Assistant copied everything from her old MBP to her new MBP, but did not give her account any permissions to do anything! UGH! So, after a bit of poking around online, I found a solution that seems to have worked:

While logged in as the user (though, frankly, I think you could be logged into any account considering you employ the SUDO command, but I didn't try it that way), open Terminal and run the following:

That cured her, so far as we can tell. We also did change some folder permissions directly (Right-click, Get Info, Permissions), but I believe the commands above did the actual work.

I worked with a different user about setting up her classroom. Due to power circuit issues, I will have to revisit the room to install the equipment at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment